Come Join Us as a Substitute Teacher!
Requirements: Applicants must possess a four-year degree from an accredited post-secondary institution. Rome City School District will now hire substitute teachers who possess a four year degree beginning in April 2016. An uncertified substitute teacher can only work 40 days in a school year per NYS Education Law.
1. Complete Instructional Application Form indicating position desired on Line 1, that is a substitute teacher, and also list areas you feel confident to substitute in on Line 2. Examples: Math, English, Social Studies, Language, Elementary, etc. Return completed form to the People Operations department.
2. Have official college undergraduate and graduate level transcripts sent to the People Operations Department, 409 Bell Rd., Rome, NY 13440.
3. Send out Reference Letter or have your college send your credential file to the People Operations Department.
4. Send out the Verification of Teaching Experience if you have taught before and return to the People Operations Department.
5. Effective July 1, 2001, a fingerprint supported criminal history background check is mandatory for prospective employees of school districts. This is mandated by New York State Department of Education. If you need to be fingerprinted ($102.00), this will be done by an outside agency as of August 2015. If you already have fingerprints taken by another district or for certification, please note this. Once the candidate attends substitute teacher orientation and needs fingerprints, the District will give the fingerprint information to the candidate.
6. Your attendance is required at an orientation session held at the District Office. There will be an orientation on You must RSVP your attendance at a session by calling the People Operations Office at 315.338.6532. SEATING IS LIMITED. Daily rate for certified substitute teachers is: That the following rates be established for the 2018-2019 school year for instructional substitutes: Certified $110.16/day Uncertified $102.00/day Retired RCSD Teachers $119.34/day (new rates for the 2018/19 school year)
7. All teachers who would like to become a substitute teacher with the Rome City School District must possess NYS teachers certification OR possess a four year college degree. If someone is already a substitute teacher with our District and is not certified, they will still be able to substitute teach with us but only up to 40 days in a school year. If you have any questions, please call the People Operations Office at 315.338.6531.
The substitute teacher orientations are held at 409 Bell Rd. (please park in the first parking lot for the building). If you are interested in attending an orientation, please download the application and reference letters, which can be returned to our office You must call for a spot at the orientation. Forms can be downloaded for your convenience or stop by the People Operations Department at 409 Bell Rd, Rome, NY 13440 to pick up a packet (you must be a NYS certified teacher or possess a four year degree to substitute teach in the Rome District). If you have any questions, please call 315.338.6531.